Podcast #163: Alex Epstein on How Coal and Oil Improve Our Lives
On Wednesday’s episode of Philosophy in Action Radio, I interviewed energy policy expert Alex Epstein about “How Coal and Oil Improve Our Lives.” The podcast of that episode is now available for streaming or downloading.
Remember, you can automatically download podcasts of Philosophy in Action Radio by subscribing to Philosophy in Action’s Podcast RSS Feed:
- Enhanced M4A Feed: Subscribe via iTunes or another podcast player
- Standard MP3 Feed: Subscribe via iTunes or another podcast player
Does the energy industry – particularly coal and oil – harm humans and destroy the environment? Are they necessary evils? Or are they positive goods?
Alex Epstein is an expert in energy and industrial policy. He is the founder and president of the Center for Industrial Progress. His writings on energy and energy policy have been published in The Wall Street Journal, Forbes, Investor’s Business Daily, and dozens of other prominent publications. His monthly podcast, “Power Hour,” features discussions with leading energy thinkers.
Listen or Download:
- Duration: 1:03:15
- Download: Standard MP3 File (14.5 MB)
- Tags: Activism, Business, Energy, Environmentalism, Ethics, History, Philosophy, Pollution, Progress, Rights
- The nature of work, energy, and power
- The purpose of the energy industry
- The history of the energy industry and its benefits
- The moral evaluation of the energy industry
- How to think about “the environment”
- Pollution versus rights
- The power of morality in thinking about environmental concerns
- Natural versus unnatural
- The law of pollution, including respecting context
- Why the energy industry doesn’t defend itself – and how it should defend itself
- How the US should have dealt with nationalization of oil wells in foreign countries
- About CIP, including the upcoming debate and how to support CIP
- Center for Industrial Progress: CIP’s Facebook Page and Power Hour Podcasts
- The Triumph and Tragedy of the Oil Industry by Alex Epstein
- Donate to CIP
The mission of Philosophy in Action is to spread rational principles for real life… far and wide. That’s why the vast majority of my work is available to anyone, free of charge. I love doing the radio show, but each episode requires an investment of time, effort, and money to produce. So if you enjoy and value that work of mine, please contribute to the tip jar. I suggest $5 per episode or $20 per month, but any amount is appreciated. In return, contributors can request that I answer questions from the queue pronto, and regular contributors enjoy free access to premium content and other goodies.
About Philosophy in Action Radio
Philosophy in Action Radio focuses on the application of rational principles to the challenges of real life. It broadcasts live on most Sunday mornings and many Thursday evenings over the internet. For information on upcoming shows, visit the Episodes on Tap. For podcasts of past shows, visit the Show Archives.